University: Selective Universities of Hungry
Program: Bachelor / Masters / PHD
Stipendium Hungaricum, the Hungarian Government’s most prestigious higher education scholarship program, offers a wide range of courses for high-achieving international students with an excellent academic track record. The scholarship aims to support the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and its constant development, strengthen the international relations of the academic and research community, and promote the good reputation and competitiveness of Hungarian higher education worldwide. The program, founded by the Hungarian Government in 2013, is supervised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and managed by the Tempus Public Foundation. It is based on bilateral education agreements between Hungary and the governments of the sending countries. It is available on five continents in over 90 countries, attracting tens of thousands of international students each year. Applicants are offered more than 1200 full degree programs, covering all higher education fields at all degree levels, including part-time and doctoral programs. The fact that over 93% of our scholarship holders would choose Hungary again is a testament to the programs quality and motivates us to further expand the scope of the scholarship in the future.
The Hungarian Government established the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship program to promote the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and to attract top international students from all around the world who can establish personal and professional links to Hungary while enjoying high-quality education in the heart of Europe. When our graduates return to their home countries with marketable skills and knowledge, they can build social, political and economic relationships, thus contributing to extending and deepening cooperation between Hungary and their home countries.
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, doctoral,
non-degree programs (preparatory courses) and postgraduate specialist training courses. Please
note that this Call for Application is for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, non-degree
programs and postgraduate specialist training courses only.
For Bachelor/Master Students:
Tuition-free education: Exemption from the payment of tuition fee.
Monthly stipend: non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 110) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies.
Accommodation contribution : Free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
Medical insurance: Health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca 170 EUR) a year/person.
For PHD Students:
- Tuition-free education : Exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend : Doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 365 for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 470) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution: Free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance :Health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca 170 EUR) a year/person.
Available Study Programs:
The program is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently nearly 90 Sending Partners are engaged in the program on 5 different continents, and the geographical scope of the program is spreading each year. Applicants are eligible to apply for scholarship types and study fields determined in the educational cooperation program in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner.
Below is the list of documents you have to provide while applying for this scholarship:
Online Application form:
- The applicants must fill out and save all requested information on the
online application form in English
- A recent photo of the applicant (taken not earlier than 2 years before
the submission of the application)
- Those who apply for partial (exchange) studies must clearly state the
length (indicated in months) and start date (September or February)
- Minimum 1 page, typed in Times New Roman 12-point letters
- Written in the language of the selected study program or Hungarian
Proof Of Language:
- Scanned copy of the original proof of language proficiency, with a minimum level determined by the Host Institution AND its translation
- In case the student has completed his/her previous level of studies in the language of the selected study program, proof can be uploaded about the fact that the language of education was the same as the
language of the study program that the applicant is now applying for.
- Translations must only be attached if the copy of the original document is not in the language of the selected study program or Hungarian.
Transcript and Degrees:
- Bachelor-level full-time program : scanned copy of the original secondary school graduation certificate or equivalent AND its translation
- Master-level full-time program: scanned copy of the original bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent AND its translation
- One-tier master level full-time programs: scanned copy of the original secondary school graduation certificate or equivalent AND their translations
- Non-degree, Hungarian language preparatory programs: scanned copy of the secondary school graduation certificate AND its translation
- Scanned copy of a medical certificate of satisfactory health condition.
- Certificates must be issued and signed by a physician to declare the medical condition of the applicant (according to the diseases listed on the form)
- The certificate must be recently issued. It means that the date of issue on the document cannot be earlier than 1 November 2023.
- must be submitted by 15 April (the nominated applicants must submit the medical certificate; however, it is possible to upload it from the beginning of the application period) Scholarship holders will participate in universities’ medical examinations upon their arrival.