Country: Vienna , Austria
Duration: 9 weeks ( June 2024 to August 2024)
The Vienna Bio center Summer School provides a unique opportunity for undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment. Our program aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship. The school is a collaboration between five of Europe’s leading research institutes:
Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CEMM)
Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI)
Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA)
Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP)
Max Perutz Labs (Max Perutz Labs)
Sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation.
About the Program:
The Program will be as fallowed:
Each fellow will be allocated a faculty member, with whom they will work closely. A diverse range of research projects are available in: Molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, bioinformatics, RNA biology, stem cells, and biochemistry. The research project will focus on a current topic in the allocated lab. Supported by a member of the laboratory the scholar will be expected to perform experiments, analyse data, generate ideas, and discuss their results. In addition to practical laboratory work the scholar will also take part in lab meetings and journal clubs.
As part of the summer school there are weekly lectures by members of faculty on current trends within their fields of research. These move around the participating institutes and stimulate lively discussions.
The Vienna Bio center Summer School concludes with a scientific symposium. In a short talk each scholar will present her/his findings to students and faculty. Prizes are awarded to the students that give the best presentations
- Free student accommodation. The complex features modern rooms that are internet enabled, fully furnished, and have a shared bathroom and kitchen.
- A stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week program.
- Medical insurance is including for entire program duration.
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship.
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna.
- Numerous social events like Applicants will be pleased to hear that the scientific program is complemented by an energetic social calendar. This includes: An opening dinner, visits to famous sites in Vienna, a trip to a heurigen, a final Summer School celebration and our regular Friday evening social hours and other campus activities.
- No Application Fee.
You need to be studying a degree in a Life Science related subject and have one of the following:
Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor (Hons) study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
- (i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- (ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
- (iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- (iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- (v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (india) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University program for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
The Deadline to apply for this summer school is 31st January 2024.